- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
- C4 Derivatives Unit
Maleic anhydride is produced by oxidation of benzene or a C4 hydrocarbon such as butane in the presence of a vanadium oxide catalyst. Maleic anhydride can be converted to maleic acid by hydrolysis and to esters by alcoholysis.
- CAS: No. 108-31-6 (T)
- EINECS: No. 203-571-6
- Japan, Chemical Substances Control Law: METI-No. 2-1101
- Japan, Industrial Safety and Health Law: ID No. 554 (SDS required)
- Japan, Poisonous and Deleterious Substances Control Law: Not applicable.
- Japan, Fire Services Law: Not applicable.
Since maleic acid molecule has a double bond and two carbonyl groups, it is rich in reactivity and has good biodegradability.
|Common Names||Maleic Anhydride,
Maleic Acid Anhydride,
|Japan Chemical Substances Control Law METI-No.||(2)-1101|
|Japan, Poisonous and Deleterious Substances Control Law||Not applicable|
|Japan, Fire Services Law||Not applicable|
|Specific Gravity (70/4℃)||1.3|
|Boiling Point (℃)||202|
|Melting Point (℃)||52.8|
|Solubility||Readily soluble in water and methanol|
|Vapor Specific Gravity||3.4|
|Flash Point (℃)||102|
|Autoignition Temperature (℃)||477|
Since 1971, our Mizushima plant (Kurashiki-shi Okayama-ken) has had industrial production of maleic anhydride starting from the C4 fraction. Currently, butane is the starting material.
Maleic anhydride has a very broad range of uses from food additives to industrial applications.
- Synthetic resin raw material (unsaturated polyesters)
- Paints and coatings
- Resin modifiers
- Vinyl chloride stabilizers
- Food additives (fumaric acid, succinic acid, malic acid)
- Agricultural chemicals
- Paper sizing agents
- Plasticizers (DOM, DBM, DEM)
- Other (GBL, 14BG, THF)
Storage and Handling
The Japan Fire Service Law does not apply to maleic anhydride. When handling, avoid contact with eyes and skin by using proper protective equipment such as goggles and gloves. If skin contact occurs, wash immediately with soap and water.
|Water-soluble form||Clear colorless|
|Melting Point (℃)||>52|
|Dissolution Test (Hazen)||<20|
|Liquid Product||Tanker Truckload(Lorry)/Container||10ton/13ton|