- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
- C4 Chemicals Dept.
NMP (N-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone) is a polar solvent with outstanding characteristics. It has a wide range of applications because it offers very high solvency, high boiling point, low freezing point, and ease of handling.
- CAS: No. 872-50-4 (T)
- EINECS: No. 212-828-1
- Japan Chemical Substances Control Law: METI-No. 5-113
- Japan, Industrial Safety and Health Law: No. 8-1-1014
- Japan, Poisonous and Deleterious Substances Control Law: Not applicable.
- Japan, Fire Services Law: Hazardous material Class 4 Petroleums No.3 (water-soluble liquid).
NMP is a 5-member-ring compound containing nitrogen. It has a wide range of uses due to the following excellent characteristics.
- It is highly polar and miscible with most organic solvents (alcohols, ethers, ketones, aromatic hydrocarbons, chlorinated hydrocarbons, etc.). Organic and inorganic substances are highly soluble in it.
- It mixes with water in all proportions.
- It has a high flash point compared to similar solvents.
- The boiling point is high, the freezing point is low, and handling is easy.
- It is chemically and thermally stable, and not corrosive.
|Common Names||G N-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone,
|Japan Chemical Mfg. Reg.||5-113|
|Japan Poisonous and Deleterious Substances Control Law||Not applicable|
|Japan, Fire Services Law||Hazardous material Class 4 Petroleums No.3 water-soluble Hazardous Rank III|
|Appearance||Clear colorless liquid|
|Odor||Faint amine smell|
|Specific Gravity (25/4℃)||1.027|
|Boiling Point (℃)||202|
|Freezing Point (℃)||-23|
|Vapor specific gravity||3.4|
|Flash Point (℃)||99 (open cup)|
|Autoignition Temperature (℃)||252|
Our Mizushima plant (Kurashiki-shi, Okayama-ken) produces high-purity, high-grade NMP from maleic anhydride in an integrated production process.
- NMP is used to produce fine chemicals from mass-produced chemicals.
- NMP applications in the electronics field have expanded in recent years. NMP's high polarity and high solvency power along with our high purity, high-grade production technology enable the high performance needed in this field.
- NMP can dissolve organic and inorganic compounds equally well or better than chlorofluorocarbon solvents. Therefore NMP is used in various industrial fields as a cleaning or release agent.
- NMP is replacing 1,1,1-trichloroethane in metal cleaning applications due to the world-wide environmental pollution problems associated with chlorinated solvents.
- Wax, flux removal
- Burr removal
- Electronic parts cleaning
- Semiconductor parts cleaning
- Solvent for lithium battery manufacturing
- Semiconductor photo-resist thinner
- Color filter photo-resist thinner
- Mold cleaning
- Metal (parts) cleaning
- Extract agent (acetylene, BTX, butadiene)
- Synthetic resin surface coating solvent
- Reaction solvents (PPS, polyimide, etc.)
- Equipment washing
- Plastic lens manufacturing equipment cleaning
5) Pharmaceutical and Agricultural Chemicals
- Water-soluble solvent
Handling and Storage
NMP is classified under the Japanese Fire Services Act as a hazardous material, Class 4, Petroleums No.3 (4,000 liter quantity specified), water soluble, Hazardous Rank III.
Since NMP is hygroscopic, if moisture content is to be controlled, it is important to keep storage containers tightly closed or under a dry nitrogen atmosphere. Since NMP is a strong degreaser, in the event of skin contact wash immediately with water.
|Specific Gravity (20/4℃)||1.027～1.030|
|Refractive index (ND25 ℃)||1.465～1.470|
(℃) initial boiling point
dry point (℃)
all distillate volume (vol%)
|Tanker Truckload (Lorry)||10ton|