- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
- C4 Derivatives Unit
2P (2-Pyrrolidone) is a widely-used solvent with outstanding characteristics. It is miscible with almost all other organic solvents and has a high boiling point.
- CAS: No. 616-45-5 (T)
- EINECS: No. 210-483-1
- Japan, Chemical Substances Control Law: METI-No. 5-112
- Japan, Industrial Safety and Health Law: No. 5-112
- Japan, Poisonous and Deleterious Substances Control Law: Not applicable.
- Japan, Fire Services Law: Hazardous material Class 4 Petroleums No.3 (water-soluble liquid).
2P is a compound containing nitrogen in a 5-membered ring. It has the following characteristics:
- Miscible in almost all organic solvents (alcohols, ethers, esters, aromatic hydrocarbons, chlorinated hydrocarbons, carbon disulfide, etc.)
- Mixes with water in all proportions.
- High boiling point.
- Chemically and thermally stable, non-corrosive.
|Japan, Chemical Substances Control Law METI-No.||5-112|
|Japan Poisonous and Deleterious Substances Control Law||Not applicable|
|Japan, Fire Services Law||Hazardous material Class 4 Petroleums No.3 water-soluble Hazardous Rank III|
|Odor||Weak amine smell|
|Specific Gravity (25/4℃)||1.1|
|Boiling Point (℃)||251|
|Freezing Point (℃)||25|
|Vapor specific gravity||2.9|
|Flash Point (℃)||129 (Cleveland open cup)|
|Autoignition Temperature (℃)||347|
- Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Raw Materials
- γ－Aminobutyric acid raw material
- Polyvinyl pyrrolidone raw material
- Extraction Agent
- Extraction of aromatic compounds
- Plasticizers for Polymer-Based Floor Polish
- Fatty acids
- Synthetic resins
- Agricultural chemicals (chlordane etc.)
- Polyhydric alcohols (glycerin, sorbitol)
- Other (printing inks etc.)
- Starting Material for Organic Synthesis
- n-Methylol compounds
- γ－Amino acid derivatives
- Polymer Raw Material
Storage and Handling
2P is classified under the Japanese Fire Services Act as a hazardous material, Class 4, Petroleums No.3 (4,000 liter quantity specified), water-soluble, Hazardous Rank III.
Since 2P is hygroscopic, if moisture content is to be controlled, it is important to keep storage containers tightly closed or under a dry nitrogen atmosphere.
When handling, protective equipment such as protective gloves and goggles should be worn. If contact with skin occurs, wash immediately with soap and water.
For more information, please refer to our company's Material Safety Data Sheet (SDS).