- Plastic Molding Material Group, PMMA Department
Online exhibition 1 Gigabit Communication over SI-POF (Plastic Optical Fiber)
Characteristics and Advantages
Eska™ is a plastic optical fiber that uses polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) as its core material.
- Compare with metal wire (copper wire) communication.
- High speed and large capacity communication
- Provide stable communication for its features of resistance to electrical noises such as EMI and EMC.
- Input / Output electrical Isolation.
- Light weight (about one-fifth).
- Compare with glass optical fiber.
- Low cost
- Easy assembly and installation.
- Safe due to using visible light source.
- Hard to break, communication is possible even if bent to a small diameter.
- ※International Standard Compliant POF (Gigabit Ethernet and MOST-150)
ISO/IEC/IEEE 8802-3:2017/FD, Amd 9, and ISO-21111-4
- Used in over 200 European car models which equip MOST infotainment system.
Contribution to the reducing weights of wire harness
Proposal for the future
- In-vehicle communication using plastic optical fibers is expected as a communication medium compatible with the next-generation high speed operation.
- By improving heat resistance performance, POF can be adopted in more places not only data com but lighting. This will accelerate weight reduction in car.